Monday, June 12, 2017

Arizona Snow Bowl Ski Lift And Wild Flowers

Occasionally we would see deer off in the woods on our drive up to Humphrey’s Peak where we would set up the PSAR (Preventive, Search and Rescue) tent at the trailhead.

IMG_2984 

Once up there, this one of the views.  That’s Kendrick Mountain where they are currently fighting a wildfire to the north.

IMG_2986

On Saturday, the winds were forecasted to be slightly less than Friday or Sunday, so I took advantage and took the open chairlift up to Agassiz Mountain.  It was a long way up there.  It took 30 minutes to get to the top.  This is just the beginning, that’s the peak.

IMG_2989

The farther I went, the higher the chair was off the ground.

IMG_3001

Follows; are pictures on the way up.

IMG_3003   IMG_3002

 

IMG_3005IMG_3006

Getting close to the top, there is still snow on the ground, some parts very deep.

IMG_3010 (2)

At the top it is 11,500 feet.  You can see the the false peaks, but not the actual Humphrey’s Peak. It’s behind those peaks, at 12,633 feet.  The picture to the right is a zoomed in view of what they call the “ Saddle”  along the ridge,  Robert, the Interpretative Ranger had a scope set up where you can see some of the hikers on the trail.

IMG_3013   IMG_3020

He was kind enough to take my picture.  Yes, it was a bit chili, so I needed the jacket, although it wasn’t as windy as I expected.

IMG_3018IMG_3022

Behind me is a view of Kendrick Mountain.  The haze is the smoke from a wildfire.  Normally, just to the left of the tree line on the right is where you can see the Grand Canyon, but not this day.

Below is a view to the west.  I believe that is Mount Williams on the right.

IMG_3028

Geological Information on the area and on the wild flower that exists only on this  mountain.

IMG_3029IMG_3030

Time to head down and back to work at the Trailhead.

IMG_3012 (2)

IMG_3031

This is about half way down.

IMG_3037

Almost down.

IMG_3038

Once down, it was back to work.  Below are some of the wild flowers beginning to bloom.

IMG_3041   IMG_3042 (2)   IMG_3043IMG_3044

It seems that this may be my last weekend at the trailhead.  I may be reassigned to help in the office at  the Rangers’ Station.

Working at 9,300 feet is probably not the best location for my health.  I’ve been to the doctor and we are adjusting my blood pressure medicine.

In the meantime, I hope that you all are healthy and happy enjoying your summer.

Thanks for visiting

IMG_2377  I sure am happy when Mom gets home.

Susan and Angel

1 comment:

  1. Helpful information. Fortunate me I discovered your website unintentionally, and I'm shocked why this twist of fate did
    not took place in advance! I bookmarked it.

    ReplyDelete