Monday, May 5, 2014

Just A Little Of This And A Little Of That

 

First of all------- Happy Cinco de Mayo.

From what I’ve been told, when the holiday falls on the weekend, it is crowded, especially in the day use areas, however this past weekend wasn’t as busy as I thought it would be.  Consequently, there wasn’t that much to clean up in the CG sites. 

The other CGs opened up after being closed all winter.  We had a couple of Scout groups and I must compliment them on how they left their sites, not much for me to clean up. Until then I had 22 sites plus 9 sites for the horse CG.  Now I have added 18 more in the newly opened CG and a large group CG that is open only when reserved.  It sounds like a lot, but it’s not too bad right now, however once the schools are closed for the summer, who knows.

IMG_0692 IMG_0693

Let me back up a bit. 

                              IMG_0691

Last Monday My son Ted came out for a visit and to bring me a heater.  I dropped my other one and broke it.  He also got my WI FI working on my computer and put up my Wilson Antenna.  I still can’t make phone calls, but sometimes I can send a text.  I had worked a few extra hours last week so that I could spend some time with him even though I wasn’t off until Tuesday.  We went down to San Jose to get a new router, as my old one didn’t work.  We also went to Applebee’s for lunch and shared.   Then it was back up that curvy road.  We visited and I showed him around the other CG putting out reservation slips for the upcoming weekend.  He left before dark to get back to San Francisco.  My new days off are Tuesday and Wednesday, however, I think that I will just do restrooms in the morning to help out maintenance and it gives me a couple of extra hours for when I have visitors. 

On Tuesday and Wednesday after doing the restrooms, I didn’t do much of anything, other than take some more pictures of the “neighbors” and read.  I’m re-reading the “Outlander” series by Diana Gabaldon.  I have six of the seven that are already published. The eighth one will be out in June.  I’m already on the third one since I got here in April.  Oh!  On Wednesday,  I did go down the hill for groceries. 

IMG_0712 IMG_0711 IMG_0708

0ne of the lizard that lives under my deck.

              Just one of the humming birds. (The ants haven’t found this feeder location)

                                                        That’s a squirrel on the tree that alerted Angel.

                               IMG_0709

Angel got all excited when this guy got a bit too close.  Just doing her job!

Back to work on Thursday.  We had to make sure that everything was done for the opening of the other CGs.  The spiders come out every night, so we have do remove their webs when ever we see them.  There are a lot of black widows as well as others. 

Most of the campers came in on Friday, some on Saturday and by Sunday they were gone.  I’m finally developing a routine, Restrooms cleaned before 8 am, go home fix breakfast, go back out check on the sites after check out time (1 pm), pickup trash, go home and then do a final run to check on the sites where they take their time.  Each run I make I check on the restrooms to see if they need re-stocking.  Some days I am putting four or five miles on the cart, depending on what I have to do.

Saturday  there was a “Star Party” scheduled. So during my rounds I would let the campers know about it, where and when.  It seemed to work, because a lot of them made the hike up to Observation Hill.

The three pictures are views down into the CGs from the hill.  The third one shows Grant Lake.  You can click on it to make it larger.

IMG_2842 IMG_2843 IMG_2845

This group is from the Friends of Grant Astronomy Club (I think).  There is usually a “Star Party” once a month. 

IMG_2846 IMG_2844

One of the telescopes was pointed at Jupiter.  The picture below (sorry not very good) is of Jupiter.  It’s that little dot above the crescent moon.  (the bigger bright spot)

                               IMG_2847  

It was cold and windy, so I left as Saturn was just showing over the horizon.  I passed about fifteen more people hiking up  the hill.

When I got home, I plugged in the heater and lost power to “My Spot II”.  I checked all the breakers and still no power.  I gave up and went to bed and stayed warm under my down comforter.  It took a while, but when I got back after the restroom run, it came back on by itself.     ???????   Oh well, I have power.

Sunday, it was back to the routine and by night there were only two sites occupied.


That’s a week at JD Grant County CG.  I hope that you’re all having as much fun as I am, although the cold and wind isn’t fun.

Thanks for visiting

IMG_0710

Taking a break from guarding Mom from that squirrel.

Susan and Angel

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have a nice routine. I'll bet the maintenance guy appreciates that you clean the restrooms on your days off. Angel is darling, as usual. Katie looks out for the squirrels, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are enjoying your new job. It looks pretty there. Will you get extra help when things get busier in June?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I'm the only Camp Host, but the guys in maintenance do the general cleaning of the restrooms twice a week. I just keep it up the rest of the time.

      Delete
  3. I bet the stars are bright up there at that campground. The stars here are pretty cool by the lake with no light pollution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are, but I didn't stay up there that long. It was too cold and windy. I'll go next month, hopefully it will be warmer.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the update. That sounds like a very nice campground. Happy it's working out well for you.

    ReplyDelete