Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Typical Week, It’s OFFICIAL, and Oh, That Hurt


Resting and recuperating, Doctor says I can’t work for a week.  Lucky to be alive.

This past week was fairly typical for this early in the season, almost empty during the week, and busy on the weekends.  While visiting with some teenagers, we checked out the bugs, beetles and the little inchworm that he thought was interesting.  Huumm, I wonder if he might end up an entomologist?


I did a bit of rearranging the deck and put the tables on the ground off but next to the deck.  It sure did give a lot more room.                


The wildlife is still out and about.  The boar was all by himself right on the road. Sorry the picture isn’t very clear, as he was very close and I wasn’t about to get out of the cart to get a better one.  they can be dangerous.


Angel is an OFFICIAL VOLUNTEER.  One of the rangers gave me a patch and I figured out a way that she can wear it without having to have it on only on shirt and she can also wear it in the summer with out a shirt.   Here she is posing to show it off.

 IMG_1251 IMG_1254

Now the reason for Angel being on doctor’s orders.  We were sitting on the deck and I was taking some pictures with my I Phone.  She was checking out what I thought was a lizard that lives under the deck.  Only it wasn’t a lizard.  It was a rattlesnake.  It was to the left of her next to the stair when bit her.  It was Sunday afternoon and everyone on staff were gone, so I called a ranger on the radio.  He did some calling and found an emergency animal clinic that had some anti-venom and I was on my way. I got her there as soon as I could and the doctor was waiting for me.

IMG_1257 IMG_1256

As it turned out, I couldn’t afford the anti-venom at nearly $1,000.00 a vial.  The cost was quoted at over $2,200. there was no way that I could have paid that much.  When I talked to the doctor, she said that it was fortunate that she was bit with only one fang and that it was just under her eye (the right one) and that her muzzle was long.  What she did was to inject saline solution under her skin.  I think that was to dilute the venom and then take the solution out.  They sent her home with antibiotics and pain medication with instructions to apply warm compresses throughout the day.  I will bring her back for a checkup tomorrow.  So far she seems to be doing alright.  She is a bit lethargic, because of the medication, but still wants to work and talk to the dogs while she sits on a chair next to me on the deck.  I took her with me yesterday while I helped clean and decorate the Ranch House, getting it ready for Easter Festivities.  She sat on one of the couches and watched me work.  She is such a trooper.

I hope that you all have an uneventful week unless the events are good ones.  Take care of all your fur-babies.

Thanks for visiting

IMG_1252 Everyone likes that I’m OFFICIAL.

Susan and Angel


  1. That was just too close for comfort! I hope she is feeling better today; it sounds like the rattler was giving her more of a sharp warning than trying to lethally harm her.

  2. Oooh my gosh!!! I do hope she gets better soon. geez...

  3. Oh my! You (or she!) were really lucky. See you sometime next week.

  4. I wonder if it would have helped if she had taken the snake bite vaccine previously? You sure want to watch out also!! Best wishes for a quick and uneventful recovery.
    Don in Okla.

  5. I've been gone awhile & am just catching up. This was the 1st post I read & my heart stopped. I can't even inagine. Loads of love to Angel from me, Nonni & Bentley.