Saturday, August 18, 2012

Gig Confirmed More Bird Pics

                              100_2411

                  super tiny flower by my stairs, bloom lasts only a few hours

                  this is about ten time the actual size, just a weed, but pretty

This afternoon I called Waco North RV Camp to confirm my position.  Everything is good to go, although I’m still not sure as to the exact date.  I’m waiting to hear from Camping World (CW) for when I can expect the new awning.  I have ordered a new automatic awning with a motion sensor.  I figure that if I have one I will spend more time outside relaxing in the fresh air. It will only take a few hours to install and CW is about half way from here to the campground.  Once we have a date then I will be able to move.  I might as well stay where I’m at for those few extra days earning a bit more money to add to the coffer. It looks like it will be, hopefully by September 1st. 

One thing that I would like to do before I head up towards Waco is to go to the San Antonio (SA) River Walk, so I may spend one night in a campground in or near SA.  I have heard a lot about it, so I might just have lunch there one day.  Any suggestions as to a nice reasonable restaurant on the river? 

Not too much has happened during the past week, except that I was stung on my arm by a bee on Thursday.  It has been a long time since the last time.  I was able to get the stinger completely out in tact and right away, but I didn’t have any Benadryl and one of the drivers said that wet tobacco can be used as a poultice to draw out the venom.  Having neither, I used some anti itch cream that has a histamine in it and then put ice on it to keep the swelling down.  Later I asked Lupe, another driver if he could get some Benadryl for me when he went into town on his lunch break.  He brought back a couple of packets, so that I will have them on hand.  What I did, seemed to work and within a couple of hours it wasn’t swollen or sore. I am so glad that I didn’t have an allergic reaction to the sting.

                                   img033 

The rest of the week was uneventful, just did some laundry and caught up on reading blogs.  Evelyn, my sister visited yesterday and brought my mail and some groceries.  While I was getting the empty water jugs out from the basement she saw a field mouse. I saw it too, so I put out some mothballs.  This morning while it was still cool, I took everything out of the basement and and did a bit of consolidating.  The mouse was gone.  I went through everything to see if there was any damage to anything there.  I didn’t see any, just the beginnings of a nest.  I got rid of that and cleaned up the few droppings.  I have most everything in bins with tight covers.  Well that’s one chore done before I leave and hopefully the smell of the mothballs will keep it from coming back.  While going through stuff, I found my zip ties and replaced a couple that broke under the kitchen slide holding some tubing together.  I certainly don’t need any loose stuff getting caught when I operate the slides.

Bird visitors

  100_2409  100_2407

I haven’t figured out what kind of birds these are,  The left one has a pinkish yellow under belly.  Here’s some new pictures of the RRs. I thought that it was just one, but there is a male and a female.  Both of them come close and tease Angel when she is out on her cable.

    100_2401100_2292

        ^     Just wondering if you can tell when a bird is ready to lay her eggs.

Hope that you are having a great weekend.

Thanks for visiting

100_2405 Come on and sit down, Mom and keep me company

Susan and Angel

8 comments:

  1. I always keep Benadryl tablets and Benadryl anti-itch cream on hand, and take both when I go camping. Glad you didn't have a reaction to the sting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got bit/stung by something a few weeks ago - not sure what it was - and my hand started to swell. I made a paste out of baking soda and it helped to reduce the swelling until I was able to get some Benadryl. I want to get one of the automatic awnings, it sounds like maybe you were able to order it on the phone. I never use the awning I have because it is to hard to do for only one person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you didn't have an allergic reaction to the sting.
    Have you ever gone on: http://www.whatbird.com/ It's a great site to identify birds. It's free, and you can drill down by state, then size, color, beak, and so on. Use it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Susan,

    Congratulations on the upcoming job! My personal favorite restaurant on the River Walk is Casa Rio. I have been going there since I was a kid. You can sit outside and soak up the River Walk atmosphere or sit inside - but sit out! That's what it's all about. Try to get an early lunch or mid afternoon time - avoid typical dining hours and you will be seated right away without having to wait. It is a San Antonio tradition since 1946. Here is the Web link http://www.casa-rio.com/history.htm Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just thought of a charming and at times, funny book you might enjoy. Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson. STarts out a bit slow but it grows on you. Lots of good reviews on it, too.

    Emjay

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm jealous, had to wrestle with my awning for an hour Sunday to get it lined up so I could roll it up all the way!
    You have done a great job as a gate guard, not sure I could have done it by myself. You can be very proud of yourself!

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Mom... 1st: anxious to see you! 2nd: take the riverboat tour (but Angel will have to stay "home" (it's cheaper since you get that "discount cause of your hair color lol"). 3rd: wherever you go to eat on the river walk is going to be fairly pricey... so just do an appetizer since you won't finish it anyways lol. 4th: BE CAREFUL and don't fall in the river... I don't have the vacation time to come down there and drive you up here LOL LOVE YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Mom... 1st: anxious to see you! 2nd: take the riverboat tour (but Angel will have to stay "home" (it's cheaper since you get that "discount cause of your hair color lol"). 3rd: wherever you go to eat on the river walk is going to be fairly pricey... so just do an appetizer since you won't finish it anyways lol. 4th: BE CAREFUL and don't fall in the river... I don't have the vacation time to come down there and drive you up here LOL LOVE YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete