Thursday, May 10, 2012

Gate A1H Just West of Dilley TX


Well, This is where I’m at, not too much to look at, just a lot of more of what’s behind the 5ver.  I haven’t even seen any wildlife, other than a few birds.  Could it be,because all it has done since I got here is RAIN.  That doesn’t mean I don’t hear anything .  There are a couple of large dogs that roam the property in the company of chickens and roosters, making all sorts of noise.  Evidently they look for handouts from the workers.

To recap:  Monday, I left Garner SP around 3 pm and headed south on US 83 to Carrizo Springs.  It took about 2 hours, because I hand to wait 30 minutes or so for a pilot car to lead us through a construction zone with one lane traffic.  I found my way to the Gate Guard Services (GGS) yard.  I met Roger ( he is the one that finds the gates for guards) and Kevin (newly hired as a person that brings the water and diesel etc.)  They got me hooked up to water and electric.  

DSC01254  DSC01253  DSC01252

These pictures are right outside my door at the GGS lot. I think that’s a crow in the tree.

I didn’t bother to put the slides out. It was a good thing, because that night we had a really big storm, rain, lightening and thunder. “My Spot was a rockin’ and thankfully not rollin’.  there was a funnel cloud spotted just East of Crystal City about 20 miles North.  They were going to take me out to the gate on Tuesday, but didn’t because of the weather.

I met with Hunter who took me out to the gate. We ended up getting ort to the gate Wednesday around 10 am.  They were supposed to lay down some caliche for the pad by 9 am, but hadn’t.  We had already unhooked and leveled when he got there, so he put it down at the back and side of the rig. It is muddy now, but it is supposed to harden up once it gets wet.and then dries out.  The rest is red, sandy and hard packed now.  When it all dries it will be dusty and dirty with all the trucks barreling down these dirt roads.

       IMG_0796  IMG_0798  IMG_0794

             Looking South                  Me in my vest                  Looking North

Hunter got me all hooked up to water and electric,and had to go back to the shop for some stuff that he needed.  When he got back he finished hooking up the portable septic system.  I was completely set up by around 4 pm.  While he was gone, he also filled up one of my 3 gallon water bottles.  While he was gone I started doing my job, getting the information from the drivers and opening and closing the gate.  The last trucks were in and out by 10 pm.  That was it, but not knowing if any others would be coming,  I slept (sort of) in the recliner.  I probably got 4 or 5 hours. 

Then the rains came.  It was a downpour.  We had hail around 10:30 am.  A few pickups came through and left.  Then the company man came through to check on another gate that they are setting up.   He was here less than an hour and said that there probably wouldn’t be any more activity today.  There hasn’t.  With all the rain, my warning bells and outside lights aren’t working.  They will just have to dry out.  That’s not going to happen for a while, as it has started to rain again.

It sure is muddy out there.  I put down a tarp just inside the door. and a container outside to rinse my boots my off.  It’s about 2” deep and the rain filled it and it didn’t take long.

I guess I’ll see what happens tomorrow.  Once it stops raining  it will be extremely busy. I think that I will see if I can get some better sleep tonight while I can.

Thanks for visiting


Susan and Angel


  1. Hope you dry out before you float away. Are you on a 24 hour gate?

    1. It is 24/7. No 12 hour gates available.

  2. I don't know if I would ever do that kind of work alone. Hope it pays very good!

  3. I hope it stops raining soon. I'm sure you're anxious to start your job on a normal day. Poor Angel is probably wondering what the heck is going on with all that mud!

    What do you have as far as days off? Is there a town or store nearby to do your shopping when you get the chance?

    1. Angel is usually inside unless I decide to sit outside, then she's in my lap. She's not had to go in the mud at all.
      Closest town/store is about 10/15 miles away, but doesn't do me any good as I can't leave. If I need anything my sister can get it for me when she brings my mail.

  4. Nice looking set up Susan! Our bell and lights would quit when it rained too, the GFCI plug on the generator they were plugged into would blow. I ended up plugging the bell and one light into an outside plug in on the side of our 5er. Thus way we had at least one light and the driveway alarm stayed working in the rain. If you happen to have a 30amp to 120v pigtail you can plug an additional extension cord into the 30 amp plug on the generator using the pigtail (assuming the 5er is using the 50 amp).


    ps: once the rain stops don't forget to reset the GFCI plug by pushing in the reset button between the 2 plug in's

    1. That's basically what I have done already. BTW Hunter said hi back, but Roger just told me that he no longer works for the company as of today, "his choice", whatever that means.

  5. Sounds treacherous... and dirty. I hope that the pay is worth it and that you are able to get some rest and enjoy it. Love and hugZ to you and Angel.