Sunday, September 2, 2012

Almost Out of Here, On To New Adventures


Tomorrow I will be finishing my Gate Guard Duties here in South Texas and Angel and I will be saying goodbye to all the BBBs. ( A day earlier than I originally decided)

I have been a bit lazy and not posted on my blog, no excuses, just lazy.  It was fairly slow all week.  On the days when there was more activity, it was usually because someone would leave and then come back, so I didn’t even have to get out of the rig, just wave them on through and note the time.  Most of the time the crews were gone by 3:00 pm, once in a while there was someone here until 6:00 pm.  I tried to get a couple of naps in the afternoon because it seems like the tankers have been coming late at night with multiple runs and I would have to physically open and close the gate each time they went through, maybe an hour in between each time I had to go out. .  Needless to say I haven’t had many nights of uninterrupted sleep.  That’s okay though.  Tonight is the last one. 


                                 Angel and her visitors, Sissy and Alexander

My sister, Evelyn and puppies came last Friday with my mail and a few things that I had run out of and to celebrate my Birthday on Saturday.  To celebrate we each had a chocolate 3-2-1 cake with strawberries and whipped cream.  Didn’t think to take a picture, but it was sooooo good!  

She brought the containers that she was keeping for me.  In them were albums and loose pictures.  My nephew, in Wisconsin wanted to know if I had any pictures of his dad, my brother.  Harold passed away a few years ago and I told Ricky I would send him what I had.  Evelyn took the albums back and I kept some of the pictures.  While she was here, we went through them and sorted them.  I will send pictures to several people now that I will be able to actually go to the post office.

Thursday, Johnny took the batteries out of the truck and brought them to the shop,  Then Bob, at the shop took them to Auto Zone on Friday where he purchased the new batteries for me.  Johnny brought them to me later that day and dropped them off, but  had to leave on an emergency.  He was back early Saturday to install them.  While he was here, he changed the oil in the compressor so it would be done before  the new guard takes over.  He left the truck running for a while, so I moved it to in front of my door where I got the vacuum out and cleaned the truck carpeting.  Before I leave I will rinse off the truck, mainly the windows. There is thick layer of dust and dirt on the truck.  It is supposed to be white, but sure doesn’t look white, more like splotchy grey.

Today I cleaned off the patio rug as best I could with all this dust, folded it and put it in one of those collapsible  containers that I use as a trash can.  When I travel I just put it inside the door.  It’s just easier than trying to stuff the somewhat dirty rug into the basement.  The little creek got disassembled and I will use the Frisbees elsewhere.  In the morning I will dump all the tanks. rinse the truck off, and hook up the 5th wheel to the truck and get ready to roll.  I’m not sure what time Johnny will bring the new guard, but I told them that I will work the morning as long as I get paid for the day.  I won’t be in a rush, so I can let the new guard know how they want things done at this site.  I will probably be out of here by noon.

The plan is to go to Traveler’s World in San Antonio, a Passport America park where fellow bloggers, Susan and Bob of Travel Bug are staying.  They just got back from Yellowstone.  Susan and Bob have also been Gate Guards.  Susan is the one that saved me last June when my smart phone got dumb and froze up and just wouldn’t do a thing except frustrate me.  This will be the first time to meet Bob.  I will be there only one night and then Tuesday I will move on to Camping World in New Braunfels to get my new awning installed on Wednesday.  Sometime in the middle of all that I want to visit the River Walk, maybe even take the boat down the river and then have lunch or dinner.  Somewhere in there I will also meet with another blogger, Colleen of Traveling With The Longdogs.  Once the awning is installed, I will be driving north to my next gig at Waco North RV Camp just north of West, TX on I 35.


For now, I will be try to get some sleep before the next tanker comes ringing the bell to wake me.      Good Night All

Thanks for visiting


Susan and Angel


  1. Safe travels. I have aalso been following Susan & Bob. Glad you will get to meet up at San Antone. Too bad you only have a day, so many things to see & do there. Hope you like your new job. Take care.

  2. Safe travels! Enjoy the riverwalk. We really can't wait to spend time there, maybe in November. Our adventures start 10/1!

    1. If you head down I35 , stop by and say Hi!

  3. I hope you have smooth traveling to your next gig. :)

  4. Be safe traveling on. Looking forward to hearing how you like the new job. The River Walk is beautiful. But we were there when it was snowing and sooo cold. Want to visit when it's much warmer sometime.

  5. Wow, now that it's over, it seems like you just started. Remember the day you stopped by to visit when I was in Quartzsite? A lot has happened since then, that's for sure. I'm glad you are done gate guarding there and will be able to have a little fun!

    Drive save, looking forward to the next chapter. :)

    1. I may do it again, but not for that long, just to make enough to do some fun things,like maybe a cruise.

  6. Wow. That is a crazy schedule - day in and day out and now with the added chores of getting on the road... I hope you get some R&R real soon. Stay safe!