Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I Knew It Was Comin’

DSC01363DSC01363DSC01363DSC01363

Multiply that by 2 + 1, that’s not even counting the water tankers and all the other vehicles that came through the gate.  Needles to say yesterday was my busiest day. Overnight, 2 more came in.  The last one left at 4;05 am.  Two of the drivers said that they would be back several times. True to their word, each did 3 loads. (those were the ones early this am).  Knowing this I just slept in the recliner getting sleep and hour at a time, but after the last one left, I slept like the dead and woke up at 6:15 am.  The sleep didn’t come easy in the evening as I could hear every sound as the rig was rocking and the slide covers making noise, with gusts of wind.  As soon as I would doze off, the bell would ring for me to get up and open the gate.  I only have to push a button to open it, so if they are leaving I don’t even have to get outside, just see who they are and enter their time in the log. As I’ve said before, job easy, resting Not.  It is what it is!

Yesterday I had asked Frank to bring me some ice and he is usually here before 6:00.  I thought that he may have let himself in, but he was late too.  So now I have some ice, definitely needed at 102 + temps.  Today will be another hot one.

Just waited to finish the day to see if there was anything interesting to note.  It wasn’t quite as busy today, only 17 vehicles, of which 10 were tankers.  I did get a call from Jaime to see how things were going and to let me know that he will be gone for a while. Just a few minutes ago, Kevin left after filling my diesel tank. 

I guess that I would consider this an average day for this gate.

Hope that you all had a good Wednesday.

Thanks for visiting

DSC00193

Susan and Angel

9 comments:

  1. What a precious photo of Angel! Sounds like you are settling into a routine and have things under control. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo of Angel is darling, she is such a cutie. What personality! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, isn't that photo of Angel adorable? Way too cute. Glad you have a/c and ice, and so many people checking on you and helping you out. Here's hoping you get some extended sleep soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought you were on a 12-hour or "slow" gate?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is slow compared to what I was on. It is also just a little bit more predictable too.

      Delete
  5. Glad things are going well for you at the gate. George and I are researching possibly working at one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you have ???, just ask. There's a lot of people doing it that are willing to share experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I appreciate you sharing this experience! I know now this would NOT be a good deal for a solo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's not for everyone. I guess that it all depends on what you expect out of it. For me, I need the extra money and it is temporary. I will soon be going back to volunteering with limited hours for sight and FHUs in a place where I can do what I want when I want

      Delete