Saturday, August 14, 2010

Decision, Road trip. First Hike

Last night I got a call from the insurance adjuster.  He will  finally come out on Monday.  Hopefully they will cover the whole thing.  In the meantime I will be enjoying the convertible. 

This morning I will be meeting with Gypsy (On The Road Again).  We will be going to check out Bassi Falls.  It is near Pollack Pines, CA.  It is supposed to be an easy (beginner) hike.  That’s me, the beginner.  I have to begin somewhere.  I’ll see if I can handle it.

I will try to remember to take pictures.

LATER:   I picked up Gypsy and headed east on Hwy. 50, through Placerville, past Pollack Pines to Ice House Road.  This whole area has a lot of places to camp (a very popular spot).  We followed the directions in one of the brochures that I picked up at an Information Center at the Outlet Mall in Folsom.

DSCF0001 DSCF0008

taken from behind the information center               Gypsy,  Angel’s in the car

It took about an hour to get there. there a couple of information centers where you can pick up permits.  Most of the way is on paved roads, but the last mile or so is a dirt road.  We got to the end of the road but there were No Parking signs all over.  So we went back to where there were other cars parked and tried to find the trail to the falls.  We had to make our own trail and did find the creek, but not the falls.

We climbed back up to the car and had our lunch.

DSCF0010 DSCF0012

Some of the stuff we had to go over or around.

DSCF0013 

Angel is all tuckered out.  She did really good !

On the way out we stopped  at one of the information centers to find out about the no parking signs.  They said that  we could  have parked there but on the other side. Now we know for next time,  I think maybe next year during the Spring or early Summer when it is at it’s peak flow. 

We still had an enjoyable trip, got a little sun and wind in our hair.  I got that first hike done.  I’m glad that I got some hiking poles last year.  I wouldn’t have been able to do this hike without them.  Now I have to go on more hikes to build up my stamina.

Everything toward the GOAL!

Thanks for joining us on our Road Trip.

Susan and Angel  (Gypsy too)   http://whatsupwithsusanandcompany.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! It's so nice that you have Gypsy to do it with (and Angel!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got that first hike behind you!! Sounds like you had a lot of fun and enjoyed it all with a good friend...Gypsy!!

    Mike & Gerri (happytrails)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad you two didn't find the falls. There should have been some signage perhaps. :)

    ReplyDelete