Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Deer Sighting, Learning Day Use Gate

Yesterday, Tuesday, we didn’t go on a hike, but in the afternoon we saw a herd of White Tailed deer by the side of the road.  Dennis ,my neighbor, went back to his rig to get his camera, I already had mine and they were still there when he got back.  I just have a little point and shoot, so I was only able to get a couple of pictures, (click on it to enlarge it.)

DSC00971    DSC00970

there are several near the guardrail                      there is just one,center, near bottom  

The pictures above were taken from in front of my door.  After about 5 or 10 minutes, they jumped the rail, crossed the road and jumped the other rail and moseyed on into the woods on the other side.

Later Dennis and Bev came over, we shared a bottle of wine, had some dessert (chocolate -3-2-1- cake with strawberries and whipped cream),and conversation.  They would be leaving this morning to go to an interview in Granbury, TX for a summer job in CO.   Before they left Dennis took a look at my Ice Maker to see why it wasn’t getting water.  He thinks that is either not connected or it may have a kink in it.  He didn’t have time to check any further, but that’s okay as the water here in the park has a lot of minerals, safe, but doesn’t taste great.  If it worked, the ice would be yucky anyway.  Besides one the perks as a Park Host is that I can get ice whenever I need it.   So when they were ready to leave, we bid our farewells and wishes for a safe journey and good luck on their interview.   Their visit was short, but we seemed to have a lot in common, so we promised to keep in touch and hopefully we’ll meet down the road.

It was soon for me to get ready for work at headquarters.  On the way there  I found Vestal at the shop.  I wanted to check  on my schedule and give him the copies of the Park Host Manuals that I copied and put into sleeve protectors on Sunday.  At some time we will need to make more.  Then it was off to see Lisa for training.

It would be a short day for reading trading manuals and training on the Day Use Gate.  I will be working the gate on Saturday, so it was decided, since it is slower in the middle of the week, it would be easier to train then.  I would learn how to check in those people coming into the park for one day only.    Easter weekend will be very busy and that’s when they will need me.  First I had to read the training manual and take test, as well as sign some papers.  There is a lot of information, although it is easy to understand.  The only way to really learn it is to just DO it.  I was able to check in three cars, (two cash, and one season pass).  Lisa is the one to train me and she went over some of the scenarios or questions that people will typically ask. Some of them are why they have show IDs with passes and how come every one has to pay.  Here at Garner SP, they follow the rules that the state has set up and some of the other parks are not following the rules.  (or maybe the people are telling us that that is what the other parks are doing----who knows?)     Anyway for the most part people just pay the entrance fee and go on into the park and have a good time.

Here’s a couple of brochures with a little history on the park.  If you click on the picture, you should be able to read the information.

           DSC00978    DSC00977

DSC00975       DSC00976

The park is beautiful and has an interesting history.  I think that I will enjoy working here for this summer.  Hopefully it won’t get too hot.

I finished by 4:00 pm, came home to let Angel out.  She is always so glad when I get home.  The rest of the day I just relaxed, read some more of m novel, took a nap, checked my emails and made plans to go to the RV-Dreams Spring Rally in Kerrville, TX on Friday the  27th.  My sister and I will just go for the day.  It should be fun meeting other Dreamers.

Got to get to bed,  I work at the VC tomorrow morning.

Thanks for visiting

IMG_0690

Susan and Angel

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like they're keeping you busy. Angel certainly looks right at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl, I used to live in Kerrville. You will love it. Have you been to the Hill Country before?

    If you are not used to deer, be VERY careful while driving. It is true they are out mostly in the morning and evening, but be prepared 24/7. Trust me on this one. Oh yeah, and if one crosses the road, there's usually more coming behind it. Wait. Just keep a look out-you'll be ok.

    The Kerrville Folk Music Festival is 5/24-6/10. Hopefully you'll get a chance to go back for that too. I think you'd enjoy it.

    CHSP checks ID and makes everyone pay. In fact, all TX SPs I've been to follow the same rules. People will try anything. For what they get, I personally think it's a bargain. It's not as cheap as NM but I think our maintenance and amenities are the reason. Biggest bang for the buck, in my opinion.

    People are so lucky to get to go through your gate! :) Am thoroughly enjoying the blog posts - thanks for keeping us updated. HugZ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great workamping gig!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete